Friday 20 April 2012

Beyond Bruce Lee history



  • Growing up, my education in martial arts came from Saturday afternoon movies on channel 5. Lessons started promptly at 3pm. My teachers where Shaolin monks, bronze men and venoms. And of course, one teacher stood above the rest.
  • Growing up, my education in martial arts came from Saturday afternoon movies on channel 5. Lessons started promptly at 3pm. My teachers where Shaolin monks, bronze men and venoms. And of course, one teacher stood above the rest.
  • When I got older, I had the opportunity to start reviewing and writing about some of my favorite martial arts movies. It was a great privilege to talk to the actors and martial artists who had been in and contributed to martial arts cinema. 
  • After spending some time in the world of martial arts journalism, my perspectives regarding the history of martial arts in America would evolve.  I'd learn about the period known as the "Golden Age of Martial Arts in America," the mid 1960s to 70s. 
  • My research exposed me to tournaments, bare knuckle competitions and mixed martial arts as early as the 1950s. I'd also learn about the undiscussed topic of racism in the martial arts -- which may linger today. I'd encounter plenty of characters and individuals whose lives warranted their own movies; tragedy stories, fake ass ninjas and the martial arts profiteers, more specifically people who are getting that "Bruce Lee money."
  • In the 1970s, Marvel comics decided to capitalize on the Chopsocky craze in the United States. Through the imprint Curtis Publications, they created  a martial arts comic entitled THE DEADLY HANDS OF KUNG FU.
  • The comic reflected or epitomized the zeitgeist of martial arts in America. Plenty of myth, great movies, characters, and people who actually practiced the arts -- the players.
  • One visible figure, referenced in each of the thirty three issues, was Bruce Lee. Although he had passed a year earlier, each comic referenced him. Marvel had even created a character named Shang Chi, who basically looked like the iconic Lee. Marvel was getting that "Bruce Lee money."
  • While in the midst of my research, I managed to get my hands on the original collection. The original series has an abundance of retro stories, great interviews, and writing which had obvious influenced our favorite martial arts movie writers. I'd even seek out and interview Stan Lee. During our conversation, he'd paint a superhuman image of Lee. 
  • The eccentric and exciting Dante, had apparently opened up doors for African American and Hispanic martial artist during the 1960s. In Chicago, he was also the the first to openly teach them. Even teaching Muslims and gang members. As a result, he was ostracized by the martial arts community. According to Keehan, teaching minorities led to his expulsion from the U.S. Karate association in 1964.
  • After a series of conversations with martial artist of different ethnicities, I'd learn that racism was prevalent in the martial arts during the 60s and 70s. It was manifested in competition, failure to give acknowledgement to practitioners and perhaps intentionally utilizing the media, whether print or film, to distort the history of the arts in America. 
  • This series of awakening builds, eventually led me to Victor Moore aka "The Man Who Beat Them All." The man who had been the nation's first Black national karate champion in 1965. The man who had amassed an impressive number of victories, beating Chuck Norris, Superfoot Wallace, Joe Lewis and Mike Stone. The man who had been a mystery to me. 
  • Moore's entire career has been eclipsed by footage from the 1967 Ed Parker Long Beach invitational tournament. You should be familiar with the black and white film footage, showing Bruce Lee throwing punches at an opponent who wasn't able to defend.
  • Vic Moore, the man who beat them all, was on the receiving end and according to him, not only had Lee cheated during the exchange, he was able to score against Lee during the second half of the speed drill. The latter half of the video has never been shown, and through another source, I'd find out that Moore's claim could be credible. 
  • "Lee was to come in on me and score punches to the chest. He came in and I blocked it, he came in again and I blocked it, then he flashed at my face and I laughed" said Moore. 
  • Through my research, I'd learn, that there was regular, organized martial arts play in the midwest, east and west coasts. This has been described as the golden era of martial arts in America. If this was the case, why didn't Bruce Lee participate? If he didn't believe in tournaments, or organized fighting, then why show up at a tournament to demonstrate his skills?
  • Wall continued  "What I am telling you are facts; what has been printed was mostly mythical, wonderful stuff. He never competed, though we all felt he was good enough to become a lightweight champion…But in order to become a world champion, you have to lose. Name me a champion and I'll tell you who he lost to. We've all lost."
  • Although the article was somewhat based on Wall's view, he made some good points. How could an entire generation of fighters become obsolete? 

No comments:

Post a Comment